Drakensberg Tourism Portal - Accommodation Hotels, resorts and hiking trails

   Home | Accommodation | Activities | Gallery | Links & info | Contact Us
Northern Drakensberg | Central Drakensberg | Southern Drakensberg | Natal Midlands


antbear Guest HouseDrakensberg accommodation review

Antbear Guest House is rated as the TOP Drakensberg accommodation. Superb food, comfortable and artisticly styled this boutique hotel is perfectly positioned to experience all that the Drakensberg has to offer.


Northern Drakensberg
- Royal Natal
- Cathedral Peak
- Bergville
- Ladysmith
- Oliviershoek
- Van Reenen

Central Drakensberg
- Monks Cowl
- Champagne Valley
- Injasuti
- Giants Castle
- Highmoor
- Kamberg
- Winterton
- Estcourt
- Mooi River
- Weenen

Southern Drakensberg
- Lotheni
- Vergelegen
- Sani Pass
- Cobham
- Bushmans Nek
- Drakensberg Gardens
- Underberg
- Himeville

Natal Midlands
- Rosetta
- Nottingham Road
- Balgowan
- Howick
- Lidgetton
- Currys Post
- Karkloof
- Lions River
- Fort Nottingham
- Hilton
- Dargle

Drakensberg Attractions
- Bushman Rock Art
- Hiking Trails
- Hot air ballooning
- Horse trails
- Helicopter & Microlight flights
- Restaurants
- Arts & Crafts
- Drakensberg Boys Choir
- Canopy Tours
- Midlands Meander
- Fly Fishing
- Game Viewing
- Golf
- White Water rafting
- Birding
- Quad Biking
- 4x4 Offroad trails
- Battlefield Tours
- Wine Tasting
- Museums
- Bicycle tours
- Abseiling
- Wellness & Spas



Drakensberg Links






Van Reenen - Northern Drakensberg

Frans Van Reenen, after whom the Van Reenen Pass is named, farmed at the base of Van Reenen Pass and trekked his oxen inland using the paths worn by the migrating animals. In the mid 1800’s he assisted the transport riders with laying out a route for the wagons carrying supplies to the gold mines.

The area traversed by Van Reenen Pass was originally known as Underberg and there was a settlement 9 km south of the present village around Wyford where the border post was between the Orange Free State and KwaZulu Natal. This was manned by Customs officials, a Dipping Officer and a Police station. There was also The Good Hope Hotel, a boarding house and two blacksmith shops.

In 1891 the railway line was opened and the present village of Van Reenen came into being as all the services were taken to the top of the Pass. The railway line was a massive engineering feat to negotiate the steep incline and involved a series of tunnels and reversing stations. The latter were later replaced by more tunnels which is the route to-day

A green lantern was hung at the top of the pass to signify that travellers had reached the summit as it was often very foggy. At this time near to where the Caltex garage is to day, a guard from 6 a.m. manned the border post until 6 p.m. No movement was allowed between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Van Reenen Hotel was built in 1892 which in 1948 was renamed The Green Lantern Inn. At the time of the Siege of Ladysmith in 1899 the Van Reenen Hotel was commandeered by the British as their headquarters for the troops stationed on Gun Hill which gave then a commanding view of both the Orange Free State and KwaZulu Natal. They also built a blockhouse, which has since been demolished.

During the 2nd World war Van Reenen was a great tourist destination with some 4 hotels in the area. Guests arrived by train and many activities were organized such as tennis and cricket matches. The Little Church or Llandaff Oratory was built in memory of Matthew Maynard’s son who was killed while trying to rescue others in a mining accident in 1925. The Moorddraai monument was erected in memory of 9 people murdered in 1865 who were transporting merchandise from Durban to Pretoria.